I love pizza. Like, if I could eat it for every single meal of the day, I would. And honestly, even bad pizza is good pizza to me (I’m talking $5.99 pizzas from that sketchy place close to campus and Jack’s frozen pizzas). But since discovering the fact that excess carbs don’t exactly sit very well with me, I’ve tried to cut back on my pizza consumption. But let’s be real– that’s nearly impossible, especially as a college student (drunk pizza, anyone?). While I cannot confidently say that I could make these mini eggplant pizzas after a few drinks, I do think they satisfy my pizza craving without killing my insides.
Mini Eggplant Pizzas
1 large eggplant, sliced
1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
1 cup pizza sauce
1-16 oz mozzarella cheese log
1 ounce pepperoni
1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Slice the eggplant, slices should be around 1/4 inch thick.
3. Sprinkle the eggplant slices with the sea salt. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
4. Pat the eggplant slices dry and place on a baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until it starts to become tender. (Note: don’t cook them until they become mushy.)
6. Remove from oven, spread pizza sauce evenly on each eggplant slice.
7. Top with pepperoni or whatever other toppings you’d like.
8. Place two slices of mozzarella on each. Top with fresh basil.
9. Broil on high until the cheese has melted, about 4-6 minutes. Be sure that you are checking them, as it is very easy to burn when broiling.
10. Let cool for 5 minutes.
These mini eggplant pizzas are super quick and easy to make and can be done in less than 30 minutes. I opt for fresh mozzarella and basil because I just prefer the taste, but shredded mozzarella and dried basil will do the trick, too. These pizzas are easily customizable with your own toppings and can be made a million different ways. Check out my Instagram for a video of this recipe.