Okay, I know this recipe isn’t healthy in the slightest, but trust me, it’s a good one. While I was home over break, my mom had some mini peanut butter cups in the pantry that she wanted to get rid of. While my first instinct was to just eat them all, I thought they would be great in some cookies. But what would the salty/sweet combo of peanut butter and chocolate be without some pretzels for some added crunch?
I took the chocolate chip cookie recipe my mom has been using for years and added mini peanut butter cups and pretzels to make these salty and sweet cookies. Since I thought it may be too dangerous to keep too many of them on hand at home, I brought them to my friend’s house that evening to share with her family. Her mom asked where I got the recipe, to which I proceeded to answer “my brain”. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but these cookies are amazing. I’m pretty proud of this creation.
Browned Butter Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
1 ¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons salted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1½ cup mini peanut butter cups (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
1½ cup crushed pretzels
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine flour & baking soda, set aside.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat 10 tablespoons of the butter on medium heat until melted. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the butter is light brown and has a nutty smell.
- Transfer butter to a large, heatproof bowl.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, stir until melted.
- Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add egg and yolk and whisk until no sugar lumps remain, about 30 seconds. Let rest for 3 minutes.
- Repeat the process of whisking and resting 2 more times, until the mixture is thick and shiny.
- Stir in flour mixture until combined.
- Add peanut butter cups & pretzels until fully incorporated. Adjust amounts as needed.
- Using a 1-tablespoon scoop, scoop into balls and press until flat onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 9-11 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
The process is a little tedious, but I promise the browned butter makes a HUGE difference in these cookies. The sweet and salty combination makes the perfect treat for any occasion. Enjoy!