And just like that, it’s officially summer. Like I mentioned before, the first summer home from college can be pretty challenging and stressful. Between working to make money to save for the school year, seeing old friends, and trying to get along with your family (key word: trying), this supposedly stress-free time of the year can in fact become the exact opposite. What happened to the days of rec center sports and biking around with our friends? Gone are the times where we didn’t have to worry about the amount of gas it took to drive somewhere or not being able to hang out with friends because they’re at work. So I decided to ask around and come up with a list of things you probably miss from your childhood summers.
1. Ice cream trucks, specifically hoping they’ll still be around while you run inside and beg your parents for money.
2. Wiffle ball. Ghostie on second!
3. Biking to get places. Who needed a car when your friends lived two blocks away?
4. Sleepovers and staying up until 2 am watching TV. Would you ever think “wow, this is a really long commercial” and then realize that it was actually a 2 hour long infomercial?
5. Night games with the kids in your neighborhood.
6. Making up games with your friends/siblings. The rules suddenly changed when it wasn’t going your way.
7. Spending your days at the neighborhood pool with all your friends.
8. Or filling up the kiddy pool at home.
See what I did there?
9. Not paying for anything. Unless you were biking to the store to get snacks.
10. Snacks after rec center sports games. Plus the Capri Sun and Sunny D that accompanied these snacks.
Irrelevant, but here’s a super interesting short blog post about post-game snacks.
11. Walking barefoot everywhere because why not?
12. Babysitters. Because you could easily talk them into letting you do something your parents wouldn’t.
13. Running through sprinklers.
14. Slip n slide. And then getting bored after 15 minutes.
15. Drawing with chalk.
16.Camping in the backyard.